SEA 2020 Special Topics Conference
The Society of Early Americanists Special Topics Conference “What Does It Mean to Remember?” will be held in Exeter, UK, 24-27 June 2020. Hosted by University of Exeter, 24-26 June and University of Plymouth, 27 June.
Call for Papers
The Society of Early Americanists welcomes proposals for panels, roundtables, workshops, and working groups for an international conference to be held at the University of Exeter (24-26 June 2020) and the University of Plymouth (27 June 2020). Designed to coincide with the four-hundred-year anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower from Plymouth, Devon (where keynote and plenary roundtable events will be held on 27 June) to New Plymouth, the conference will be particularly concerned to address:
- The guiding question(s) “What Does It Mean to Remember” or “How Do We Remember?”
- Anglo-American-Indigenous relations in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
The organizers welcome individual or panel contributions (traditional or innovative) to be delivered at the University of Exeter on 25 or 26 June. Papers and panels may engage with the following topics, though we emphasize that this is not an exhaustive list:
- Transatlantic circulation of people, ideas, texts, foods, goods, things
- The “Winthrop fleet”—technology, people, motivations, microhistories
- The English diaspora in the Americas and globally in the 17th century
- Indigenous travelers to and/or perspectives on England/Europe
- American Puritanism “before the fact”
- Commemorations and remembrances of the Mayflower, Thanksgiving, Plymouth Rock.
- Exeter, the South West and the Pilgrims
- Digital Pilgrims (DH approaches and applications)
- Popular Pilgrims/the Pilgrims as Popular Culture in the U.S. and beyond
The conference organizers warmly welcome participants from both within and beyond the UK. Reasonably-priced housing for the conference will be available on campus. Registration for the conference will have an option inclusive of housing, breakfasts, lunches and conference dinner. Please see the conference website for further details.
Email 1-page proposals to SEA2020@exeter.ac.uk by 20 September 2019.
Individual paper proposals should include
- Presenter’s name, title, and institutional affiliation (or independent status)
- Title and short description of the presentation.
Full session proposals should include
- A title and overall description of the panel
- Presenters’ names, titles, email addresses and institutional affiliation (or independent status)
- Titles of each presentation on the panel, if applicable.