- Membership & News
- Teaching & Resources
- About Us
The Society of Early Americanists furthers the exchange of ideas and information among scholars of various disciplines who study the literature and culture of America to approximately 1800.
- The Society of Early Americanists is pleased to announce the election of Ralph Bauer, Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature at the University of Maryland, College Park, as Executive Coordinator of the Society. Please join us in congratulating Ralph! More information about the election is here.
- Early American Literature Book Prize: The editors of Early American Literature are pleased to announce the third annual Early American Literature Book Prize, which is given for the best newly released academic book about American literature in the colonial period through the early republic (roughly 1830). This year's prize will be awarded to an author's SECOND OR SUBSEQUENT book. The prize is offered in collaboration with the University of North Carolina Press, the Society of Early Americanists, and the MLA's Forum on American Literature to 1800. More information is available here.
- The SEA will be sponsoring three sessions at the American Literature Association 28th annual conference, Boston, May 25-28, 2017. For more information, please visit the SEA Upcoming Conferences page, here.
- Congratulations to Professor Mairin Odle, University of Alabama, recipient of the Eighteenth Annual SEA Essay Prize for her essay “‘Pownced, Pricked, or Paynted’: Tattoos and Indigenous Literacies.” More information about the essay contest is here.
- The Society of Early Americanists announces the Special Topics Conference on "Religion and Politics in Early America," St. Louis, Missouri, March 1-4, 2018. For more information about the Call for Proposals, please see the SEA Upcoming Conferences page here.
- The Society of Early Americanists Tenth Biennial Conference will take place in Tulsa, Oklahoma, March 2-4, 2017. For more information, please see the SEA 2017 conference website here and the SEA Upcoming Conferences page here.
- To join the SEA and subscribe to the SEA Newsletter, please see the SEA Membership page here. For any questions, please Contact Us. Thank you!